more info Menu

Tax Impact of Name Change – Whom to Contact and What Forms to Complete

While marriage is the most common reason for changing your name, it is not the only reason.

Whatever the impetus, you must now make sure that you are all set from a legal and taxation standpoint.

The primary identifier for the IRS is your social security number – and your tax return must match your Social Security records. Failure to take appropriate steps can delay your tax refund or other logistical annoyances you can avoid.

Notify Social security

– Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card

– Review https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm for what documents you may need

Until you change your name with SSA, you must continue to file tax returns under your prior name.  This holds true even if you were married, are now divorced, and want to change your name back.

The Whole Story at TFX.

From → TFX Articles