more info Menu

Obtaining Green Card for Non-Resident Spouse of US Citizen – Tax Requirements



Congratulations – you’re married! If you are a US citizen and your spouse is not, you may want to obtain a Green Card or Immigrant Visa for your new spouse.  In order to do so, you must certify that you are up to date with your US tax returns and attach transcripts to show proof.




Form I-864:




In addition to the tax transcripts, it is helpful to provide proof of current employment.  Either a summary of payslips or an employer letter stating your current position, salary, and how long you have been there should suffice.

How do I know If I was required to file a tax return?

All US citizens and GC holders are required to file a US tax return declaring their worldwide income (question 20 in the I-864 application above refers to worldwide income). Please see Minimum Filing Requirements to determine if you were not required to file.

Whole Story at TFE.

From → TFX Articles