more info Menu

How to report AIrBnB income on your U.S. tax return

Do I have to report the income?

If you are an AirBnB host wondering how to report the income on your tax return, the first question should be — are you required to report it at all?

– S. Citizens/GC holders – If you are a U.S. citizen, you must report worldwide airbnb income on your U.S. tax return.
– Non-U.S. Persons – If you are a non-U.S. citizen, and you do not meet the substantial presence test (ie – required to file form 1040 as a U.S. resident) – then you only have to report the U.S. AirBnB listing income.

Where do I report this income?

For most casual AirBnB renters, the income received would constitute Rental Income, and reported on Schedule E of your tax return.

If you not a casual renter, but instead are in the real estate business or treat your AirBnB as an actual hotel/motel business and provide maid services, serve coffee, etc – you would be considered to engage in “active participation” – this would be considered Self-Employment and reported on Schedule C of your tax return. Note – unlike Schedule E, Schedule C carries potential self-employment tax (SECA).

Whole Story at TFX.

From → TFX Articles